Sunday, November 24, 2013

Oxtail, Beef Vegetable Soup...

I participate in something of a Lunch Club at Work.
My Co-workers and I rotate bringing lunch for each other.
It was supposed to be an effort to follow the Atkins Diet, but we failed miserably at that. Now we just cook for each other and try to keep it as healthy as possible.
This soup fit the bill perfectly!

Oxtails are expensive!
I didn’t want to make the whole package since I was taking the soup to work so I used stew meat as well.

Ingredients:
{Ingredients, sans the meat...I had already started it when I decided to do this post...sorry}
One Oxtail
½ lb stew meat
1 small bell pepper & onion diced
1 can of tomato paste
2 containers of Red Spoon Crushed Tomatoes Garlic & Onion Flavor (you can also used a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes as well)
McCormick Perfect Pinch Seasoning, Garlic Salt, & Pepper to taste.

/Side Note:/The meat needs to cook until tender so insure you set aside time to cook it thoroughly. I did not time this step but here is what I did:

I washed the meat and pat it dry with a paper towel.
I placed it in a large soup pot.
I filled it with just enough water to cover the meat.
I seasoned the water with garlic salt and perfect pinch.
Then I covered the pot and let the meat cook on a medium-low setting cook in. My Stove goes up to a five, so I cooked the meat at a 3.

When it is ready, the stew meat will brown, causing the water to turn brown and the oxtail meat will be so tender that it fall right off the bone.
You want to take the meat off the bone and remove the bone from the pot.
Then I added all of my vegetables as well as my tomato paste and crushed tomatoes letting this simmer on low.



Once the vegetables were tender, I added more Perfect Pinch, Garlic Salt and Pepper to taste. 



I got RAVE REVIEWS from my lunch club! 

2 comments :

  1. What a great idea! I wish my coworkers would be up for something like this! This soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete