Monday, September 19, 2011

(Sunday) Cookin'...

Blog written yesterday...
My microwave went on home to be with the Lord last week.
Since then, I've been doing moderate eating out... (tracking points for everything of course).
When I rose this morning, I said to myself, "Self, what can you cook that doesn't need cookin'?"
Mind you, it needs to last ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL week.
And it need not run into too much into my pocketbook.
It also has to coincide with my Weight Watchers goals.
What better to have for dinner than......
Sandwiches!
Tips for a Filling, Flavorful, Low-Fat Sandwich:
1. Use sliced deli meats.


IMG_2096

When I consulted my Points Plus Counter to plan my grocery shopping list, most deli-sliced meats are only 2 points plus values.
That doesn't mean to pile the sandwich with them though, (you still have to account for the bread, cheese, and dressing you use).
I used:
1 Slice Roast Beef: 2 Points
1 Slice Ham: 3 Points
1 Slice Turkey : 2 Points
2. Use a Lower Fat-Cheese.


IMG_2098

In my dieting experiences, I've tried Low Fat cheese singles.
While I liked the shredded varieties, the singles were just....OK.
I found myself melting the singles to make them more appetizing.
This time around I MAY sacrifice some points for regular cheese slices.
Let's see how some of my favorite cheeses add up:
Provolone: 3 points
Cheddar: 3 points
Swiss : 2-3 points, (depending on the brand)
Or, I could just leave off the cheese.
[I ended up getting the store band mild cheddar...2 Points Plus Values! Score!]
3. Pile on the Vegetables.


IMG_2094

They are virtually 0 ZERO point plus values so you can add as many as you want!
Some of my favorites are:
Romaine Lettuce
Spinach
Tomatoes
Red Onions
Bell Pepper
Banana Peppers (like pickles with a kick)
You can even add Avocado for 2 points a slice.
4. Skimp on the condiments.


IMG_2093

I know we like our sandwiches with lots of flavor.
Thus, we find ourselves adding dressings like mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar, oil, ranch and the list goes on and on.
No one likes a dry sandwich, so we tend to pile on the condiments.
That's not good.
If you look on the bottle of most foods, there is a recommended serving size.
I like Kraft Chipotle Mayo and the recommended serving size is :
1 tbsp for 40 calories.
That equates to 1 Points Plus Value.
5. Pick Smart when choosing Breads.


IMG_2089

1. Look at the ingredients: Multigrain breads are an optimal choice...but whole wheat is good too
2. Mind your calories: There are some GREAT-Tasting Breads out there. My personal favorite is potato bread!
But at 6-8 Points Plus Values for two Slices...may not seem much, but it adds up.
The brand above is only 90 calories for two slices.
That's 3 Points Plus Values...
TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!


IMG_2102


An awesome sandwhich that doesn't bust your gut! It does SATISFY though. ...YUM!

0 comments :

Post a Comment