Saturday, December 8, 2012

Recipe Remake: Lexi's Spicy Crab & Corn Chowder...


With the Christmas holiday drawing near, I plan on cooking big.

So, I have been doing a lot of soups for dinner lately.

I like them because they are cheap, hearty and last me for a week! Not to mention this variation is not bad on calories and will help me stick to my fitness goals. Not Bad!

It is ALWAYS amazing when Lexi of BeautyFash: From Sequins to Cilantro, invites us into her kitchen.

You know you are going to be in for a treat when she showcases what she is whipping up on her blog.

I like that the recipes are detailed and have step by step pictures that make them easy to follow.

When I saw that Lexi (and another one of the bloggers I follow both) made corn chowder, I knew I had to give this recipe a go myself.

I like Lexi's version because it is really easy to follow. A lot of recipes call for you to put half the soup in a blender to make it thicker. Lexi does a little trick in the end with a cornstarch paste that is just as effective and with less clean-up!

I give you, my recipe remake of Lexi's Spicy Crab & Corn Chowder!

Her Recipe Calls for...(my substitutions are in bold)

Ingredients:

1 can of crab meat*              I used two because mine was shaved crab meat

2 10 oz. boxes of frozen corn*  I used a 12oz bag

3 cans of chicken broth      I used a 32oz box

1 1/2 cups of heavy cream I used 1 pint...but 1/2 pint is recommended

2 medium carrots, finely diced

2 celery stalks, finely diced

1 medium-large onion, finely diced

1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely diced

6 strips of bacon {or turkey bacon}, finely diced I used precooked bacon

2 heaping tablespoons flour I used wheat flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of cold water

2 {heaping for me!} tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning I used 4 tablespoons of Tony Chachery's Creole Seasoning

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper {or more if you like it really spicy}

1/2 stick of butter I used Pam Olive Oil Nonstick Spray

1 tablespoon olive oil I omitted this ingredient

 

001

I hate chopping veggies so I cheated and got the ones already prepared in the produce section of my local store. The only thing I DID chop was the carrots. I will tell you there is something about fresh veggies that do so much for the flavor of a soup. While copping my carrots, I preheated a large soup pot on the stove over med. heat.
005
I also used already cooked bacon. It comes just barely browned so I had enough room to crisp it a little more to get the fat from it.
006
See what I mean, that's my bacon BEFORE I crisped it.
 
007
And this is after and while still in my soup pot. I used six slices.
008
After removing my bacon and setting it to the side, I sprayed some Olive Oil Pam nonstick spray in the pot, along with the bacon grease, to substitute for butter.  My pot is still warming on med. heat at this point.
010
I added my veggies, sautéing them in the oils and seasoned them with Morton's Nature's Season with no MSG! I love this stuff. It's like a seasoned salt and pepper blend.
011
Next I added two heaping tablespoons of King Arthur Wheat Flour to the veggies. I sprayed a little more Non-Stick Spray right afterwards and stirred, to insure the veggies were coated well with wheat flour.  
014
Then I added one box of Swanson 99% Fat Free Chicken broth slowly to the mixture, stirring after each addition. (You should do this about 4-5 times, adding the broth and then stirring, adding more broth and then stirring).  Then I let this come to a boil (Still on med. heat).
015
016
I added these seasonings to my broth and veggie mixture, 1tbls of the paprika and cayenne and 4tbls of the Tony Chachere's .
018
After simmering about 3 minutes, I added one 12oz bag of frozen corn and two cans of crab meat. (The brand I used gave me crab shavings instead of chunks...Really?) I let the soup simmer for 5 minutes and then reduced the heat to med. low.
019
Then I added a pint of heavy whipping cream. (That may have been too much because my soup went from a golden brown to white...but...it still tasted good! Next time I'll do a 1/2 pint, which is recommended.)
021
I let it simmer for another 3 minutes before I added 2tbls of corn starch and 1tbls of cold water.
027
Then I stirred, let it cook for another three minutes before turning the stove completely off and covered it.  I added the cooked bacon as well.
 The extra small bowl I sampled tasted AMAZING, but I will eat it for dinner tomorrow and throughout the week with some low fat corn bread!
Thank You Lexi!!!!!

3 comments :

  1. The only thing I would have done differently was added 1/2 pint of cream. But it came out good still...very rich and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could E Mail me a big bowl of this. Looks and sounds great.

    ReplyDelete