Sunday, August 7, 2011

OatMeal Pancakes with a TWIST...

The last time I made this recipe, I was trying to stretch it for a week.

I also didn’t follow it verbatim and I think I lost some of the favorfulness behind that mistake.

When you are substituting lower fat ingredients with those that are high in fat, it is important not to jeopardize the way the food tastes.

That’s why people shy away from low-cal foods.

They don’t feel it’s as satisfying and tasty as  foods that are richer.

Like they tell you in school, “If you follow directions, things will be a lot better.”

So not only did I follow the recipe more carefully this time, I added a twist.

I liked the syrup that the recipe calls for, but I didn’t want to make it.

I was going to use regular syrup.

I looked on the back of the bottle to get the nutrition information so I could plug it into Weight Watchers to see how many points it would cost me.

To my dismay, ¼ cup of that syrup would have been 5 points.

That’s one piece of chicken! (A thigh)

It wasn’t worth it to me.

2 pancakes are already 9 points, so that’s 14 points.

I get 30 points a day, so that’s almost half of my daily points.

That wasn’t going to work for me.

I asked myself what I could do to substitute for the syrup that I would have to make from scratch but still add flavor.

Here’s The Recipie:

Oatmeal Pancakes-9 points for 2 servings


Ingredients


 


 


3/4 cup(s) fresh blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen   


 


2 Tbsp powdered sugar   


 


1 Tbsp water   


 


1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste   


 


1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice   


 


1 cup(s) rolled oats, old-fashioned   


 


1 Tbsp packed brown sugar   


 


3/4 tsp baking powder   


 


1/4 tsp baking soda   


 


1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste   


 


1/2 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt, or favorite flavor yogurt   


 


1/3 cup(s) apple juice, or other fruit juice   


 


1 large egg(s), lightly beaten   


 


1/4 tsp vanilla extract   

Instructions

·         To make the blueberry sauce, combine blueberries, confectioners’ sugar, water, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Keep warm.

·         Place the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor; pulse until the oats are finely ground. Transfer to a bowl and add the yogurt, apple juice, egg, and vanilla; stir until just blended. Let the batter stand 5 minutes.

·         Spray a nonstick griddle or large skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Pour the batter by four 1⁄4 cupfuls onto the griddle, and cook until the bubbles that form on the top have burst and the undersides are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 3–4 minutes longer. Repeat with the remaining batter making a total of 8 pancakes, using more nonstick spray if necessary. Serve the pancakes with the blueberry sauce. Yields 4 pancakes and 1⁄4 cup blueberry sauce per serving.

Notes

·         Blueberries contain more antioxidants than any other fruit and luckily there are terrific fresh or frozen blueberries available all year. When blueberries are in season (especially delectable tiny wild Maine blueberries), freeze them in a zip-close plastic bag so you can enjoy them year round.

Here are the Steps Pictured:

I gathered my ingredients…(Including my Lap Top to Follow Along with the Recipe)

IMG_0639

I added all my dry ingredients in my NINJA blender and processed them together until the oats were smooth.

Before Processing:

IMG_0642

 

After Processing:

IMG_0643

I added the wet ingredients and blended the mixture some more.

IMG_0645

Here is where I added my secret ingredient to add more flavor to the mix…and blended.

IMG_0646

Then I poured the mix into a pan preheated on medium.

IMG_0648

When little bubbles start to form in the batter, the pancakes are ready to flip,

IMG_0649

I always store my pancakes in a freezer bag so they will maintain their moisture.

The bananas will help with that too.

IMG_0650

While they were still hot, I doused some powdered sugar on them.

Delicious!

0 comments :

Post a Comment