Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday Cookin’: Weight Watcher's Egg Plant ” Parmigiana”

 The very first time I tasted Egg Plant Parmesan was at a day-long training at my old job.

We ordered in from a local Italian eatery.

One of the teachers is a vegetarian and his diet was

accommodated with the dish.

I got it out of curiosity, [hey, it was free], and it was

UNBELIEVEBLY GOOD!

It tasted better than the bland chicken alfredo I got to

 take home because there was left-overs.

So when I was looking for this week’s dish, I thought about that experience.

On to the Weight Watcher’s Website I went for a recipe.

And wouldn’t you know it? They had one!

Of course it was low fat.

So when I did my grocery shopping, I bought all the ingredients and today I went to work.

Just like the eggplant I had courtesy of my old job, I wanted mine to be crispy.

Like I’ve said before, the key is to substitute fat and calories, not flavor and texture.

Here’s the Recipe:

Let me just say it was sooo easy to make too.

Weight Watchers Egg Plant Parmigiana



Ingredients


1 spray(s) cooking spray   


1/3 cup(s) seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style   


1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese   


1 tsp italian seasoning   


1/4 tsp garlic powder   


 


1 medium raw eggplant   


 


2 large egg white(s), lightly beaten   


 


1 1/2 cup(s) canned tomato sauce   


1/2 cup(s) (shredded) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded   

Instructions

·         Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.

·         Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder in a medium-size bowl; set aside. Remove skin from eggplant and trim off ends; slice eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

·         Dip eggplant first into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture. Bake eggplant on a nonstick cookie sheet until lightly browned, about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once.

·         Place a layer of eggplant on bottom of prepared baking dish, then add 1/3 of tomato sauce and 1/3 of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 2 more layers in same order. Bake until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Slice into 4 pieces and serve.

And here are the Steps in pictures:

IMG_0871

Gather All the Ingredients...

IMG_0875

Slice the Egg Plant...I know the pic above showed 2, but I only used one and froze the rest.

 IMG_0879

This is How it Looks after it's Breaded and Baked...

IMG_0880

Here are My Layers of Eggplant, Marinara Suace, and Fat Free Mozzerella...

IMG_0882

Vola! The Finished Product...

IMG_0881

Don't these Steamed Asparagus Look Tasety...? These are a Worthy Side Dish {I eat them with my hands...} 

 

Now I gotta make a quiche for breakfast.

0 comments :

Post a Comment